Mara marched into the office trying not to show her reddened face at the crack about her parentage, soon she stood before the woman who had called for her "Yes Ma'am?" she asked softly, dipping her head as a sign of respect. The woman just scoffed at her "Little girl, You are only hear because of your mother. Otherwise I'd not have hired you, Hell I'd rather have your mother. Full blood Matari woman like her, in the pilot seat, pure magic. But I got you... So here's how it works half blood. I hire you, You do what I say to do. You get cleared to fly solo got it?" The woman said, though Mara paid little attention to her hurtful words, the words of work hit her ears. "Yes ma'am, Certainly ma'am. I was wondering..." she paused a moment kicking her boot against the metal floor of the space station's office. She wondered if the woman would even answer her questions, as she looked up, tears in her eyes the woman's face said all she needed to know. She was at least interested to know what the young woman wanted. "My mother, You knew her right? Can you... can you tell me more about her? I heard they are keeping her at a deep space station, out of reach of the wars." the red head finally continued looking hopeful.
"Your mother.. Yes I knew her. we flew together at one point, she had an unfailing optimism that seemed to help no matter what job we took. We had a few 'get the pirate bring his tag back' type missions she seemed to love the most. You've got her hair, her mouth, that little smirk she had, and you are like her... but also like your father, another good pilot should you fly past him one day. Don't doubt you will. Sit..." the older woman started pointing to a chair in her office for the girl to sit in, Mara did as she was told and listened, anything to bring her closer to her mother. "Once, fresh out of school. Your mom came across me mining, Some asshole was in system popping miner's ships so she loaded up in her Thrasher, that's a Minmatar destroyer you'll be flying in a few weeks, and sat in the belt with me. At first I felt nervous, then she hailed me. though I could tell she had A LOT of chatter feeds going on, you could always hear them, the little chirps from the channels. And her music choices, oh lord her music choices, she blared stuff from before the eve gate. Quite a character your mother. Protect the weak, kill those who dare harm the ones she cared about. No one knew she was sick you know... not till you. Not till she disappeared and all we heard was she had a baby girl. Listen Darius, I don't hate you.. contrary to what you might think. You make me miss your mother. You've got huge boots to fill and I don't think you can do it. Half my crew knows your mom, and they keep holding their breath waiting for you to be just as amazing." The woman finished her story before paging for someone to bring her a folder of applications for other pilots as well.
Mara looked at the woman, standing slowly to brush her hair behind her ears "Frankly ma'am... I'm not my mama, I don't even know my mom. So if you guys are all waiting for me to be her, cut it out. I'm me its all I'll ever be and frankly I don't wanna fill her boots, Follow her steps maybe, but I'd rather fill my own boots" she said nodding before she left the office. The older woman just shook her head and laughed as the girl left "Like Mother like daughter. little spit fire"
No comments:
Post a Comment