Ba-thump... Ba-thump... Ba-thump "No please no!" Cha-chick... BOOM
I shot up in bed, startled, not realizing where I was at first. A few minutes passed before I realized I was in a hospital bed. I tried to remember why I was here, but my mind drew a blank. I silently slid out of the bed and padded barefoot over to the mirror. It had been months since I had the time to look at myself, since I had time to do something with my appearance. "Mirror Light, ON" I said, the light flickering on above the full length mirror. My face was pale from not enough sun-deck tanning, as were my arms and the rest of my body. My whole body looked skeletal from running more missions and killing rats instead of eating. "I look horrible, its no wonder they kept me." I said to no one in particular. My red hair was stringy, I wondered why it would never stay clipped up, but now I knew. My months of barely eating was thinning out my hair, my whole body ached as I stood there and a tear slowly trailed down my face. What had I done to myself?
When the doctors stepped into the room I was curled up in a ball in the corner of the room crying, my blood red hair covering my too thin face. The doctors kneeled next to me, calling for Nykitah to come in. As Nyk sat next to me, brushing my hair out of my face the doctors told me something was wrong with me. I wasn't gaunt because I wasn't eating right. I was gaunt because there was something wrong in my genetics, had been for a few years as far as they could tell. but it slowly ate away at me. They wanted to re-clone me, and see if it cured it. So I signed the papers and laid on the bed, they would wheel me to the med bay, put me to sleep and do a manual re-clone. I begged Nyk, as they wheeled me back, to call my daughter. I hadn't spoken of or to my daughter for a few years now. I had been doing so much, sending all my ISK home to raise her. My aunt had taken her in so she could grow up happy.
As they put the mask on my face and slowly put me to sleep I began to remember how Mara had become part of my life...
6 years ago...
I was flying another turn as tackler, Krennel was playing bait in his drake, and the others where around in their ships. I was sitting with Krennel in an asteroid belt in Mara, just one jump gate away from Piekura waiting for my shields to heal before I went back out. Then the Fleet Commander called it quits. the system cleared out, they had seen us in local and had all left. Krennel and I stayed behind just because we could. We sat there in fleet channel, we kept talking, and soon it was just the two of us. Eventually I got bored and parked my Rifter next to his Drake and podded over. We ended up having a little roll in the roids, and left after that. That was that we thought. Pod Pilots can't usually have children so we didn't worry.
2 Months After...
I wasn't sure what to do or what to say. I hadn't felt well for 2 months so I went to the doctors. Surprise, baby! I cried for the first few days. Then took the vitamins the doctors gave me, took a break from shooting people, ran useless missions. I found I wanted my surprise child. Here I was almost 3 months along and I had yet to tell Krennel. As I walked to his quarters I felt the need to vomit getting stronger. Before I even knocked on his door, even before I got to his hallway, I ended up running. I ran straight to the bar, and lo-and-behold right smack dab into Krennel.
I burst into tears as he hugged me, asking me if he had stepped on my foot. I was a clutz, they all knew this. I sniffled and quickly spat out that I was pregnant, it was his, and then cried more. He just hugged me, apologized for putting me in this position. We walked into the bar and took our usual table, as we drank away the shock, me water and sodas and him alcohol, we discussed the predicament we had found ourselves in. We wondered how it had happened. It took us hours to come to terms with this new surprise. We had realized that the fact I hadn't re-cloned recently led to this surprise child. Pod pilots could have children apparently, but it was rare because of the re-clone rate of the average pilot. Miners had a better chance of having children then combat pilots did. We decided to leave this as it was, decide later what to do.
4 months after
I was now 4 months pregnant, my belly becoming larger with each week, the child inside my body rolling and growing. I was due to see my doctor for a routine checkup in an hour, so I was wasting time discussing the stars with Krennel. We still weren't sure what we wanted to do with the little one, but today we would find out what we were having. As the minutes passed quickly, I seemed to forget why I was needing to go to a doctor. The alarm went off on my pocket neocom loud and obnoxiously. I quickly jumped up realizing I would be late. Krennel asked if he could come along. He usualy came to these appointments just so he would know what was going on. So off we went, to see about the future child neither of us planned but both loved so much.
To Be Continued...
4 months after
I was now 4 months pregnant, my belly becoming larger with each week, the child inside my body rolling and growing. I was due to see my doctor for a routine checkup in an hour, so I was wasting time discussing the stars with Krennel. We still weren't sure what we wanted to do with the little one, but today we would find out what we were having. As the minutes passed quickly, I seemed to forget why I was needing to go to a doctor. The alarm went off on my pocket neocom loud and obnoxiously. I quickly jumped up realizing I would be late. Krennel asked if he could come along. He usualy came to these appointments just so he would know what was going on. So off we went, to see about the future child neither of us planned but both loved so much.
To Be Continued...
No comments:
Post a Comment